Monday, October 6, 2008

Breathe







It is written in the Christian Bible that all of creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth... to put it simply, life is hard. I'm in the peak of a long contraction in my own life. Tyring to trust God for my sustenance, but not knowing what form it's coming in. Sometimes God asks for such big things from us. Feels a little like transition actually. I'm trying not freak out, tyring to trust God. Sometimes all I can focus on is the pain and fear it's causing me... instead of excitement in the new road ahead.


I teach women that in order to have a baby with less pain (and no medication) that they need to realize and release their tension and fears. Fear builds tension, which increases pain, which makes you more afraid. It's all a big cycle that keeps building... it closes the body up instead of opening it. The things that break the fear/tension/pain cycle are relaxation, calm and focused breathing, trust in the one you're with, focusing on the prize ahead, keeping a grateful, positive attitude, laughter. Laughter during labor actually has the ability to further open a dilating cervix!! So does puking (I'd rather laugh). I say that genuine laughter and joy opens up and releases things in the spirit as well (so too, the expression of crying). What mirrors the physical and spiritual are. A friend was praying for me recently and asked that God make me able to laugh at the days ahead just like that proverbial woman does. So, God, give me joy. Give me laughter. Open me up to the depth and beauty of this transition you have me in right now. Cover over my deepest of fears.





All of those positive responses to labor and life build up the supply of endorphins and blessedly aid the heart and body in staying calm and feeling less pain.





So, here's to relaxing in this moment.... enjoying the ride. Throwing my hands up in the air and letting the waves of life hit me. Where will they take me? Closer to the shore? Out into the deep? Hmmm. Closer to the hands that created me, for sure.


Breathe.

No comments: